The High Commission for the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago will be opening its doors to the public on June 4th and June 5th 2016 as part of DOORS OPEN OTTAWA 2016.
Join us at 200 First Avenue from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm to get a glimpse into the building that was constructed by the Bell Telephone Company of Canada in 1914. It was known as the Carling Exchange or “Carling” battery office and provided telephone service to the Glebe and Ottawa South. Designed by the architect, William John Carmichael (1867-1927), the building features a two floor structure with a basement and potential to add a third floor. It has high ceilings and an impressive step-up foyer entrance. The foundation is reinforced concrete with spread footings. The outside brick and stone walls feature gray Ohio sandstone trim and dark-red pressed brick.